Monday, August 21, 2017

Turn around, bright eyes.

I am the first to admit: from time to time, I poke fun at our president on this blog.  One, it’s just too easy, and two, he is always such a good sport about it.  In the spirit of generosity, I would like to cut the man some slack for something the internet is blowing WAY out of proportion:
 
Donald stares directly into eclipse.
I know.  You’re surprised.  Claire, you say, of course we believe in your magnanimity, but why won’t you join the fun and heap scorn onto our blithering idiot of a president?  Well, it’s definitely not because I did the exact same thing.  Because I didn’t do exactly the same thing.  I was inside…looking up…at the sun…during the eclipse…without the glasses.  FOR A SPLIT SECOND.  JUST DON’T THINK ABOUT HOW FAST LIGHT TRAVELS.  OR ABOUT HOW DELICATE AND WONDERFUL OUR EYES ARE.  BECAUSE THAT’S DEFINITELY NOT WHAT I DID FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.  I have not been fretting about premature blindness in my left eye.  I am not one of those people who googled “How fast will I know if I damaged my eyes by looking at the eclipse”.  (I googled, “likelihood of cancer from UV radiation directly into eye”.)  I didn’t immediately make an eye doctor appointment.  (Because I already have one next Monday.  A lucky stroke of advance planning.  Should I tell her what I did?  Or see if she can figure it out?)

So listen…we’re all human.  We make mistakes.  We fly too close to the sun.  I'm with you here, Donnie.  I will ask St. Lucy, patron saint of the blind, to intercede for us.  (Might help with more than the literal blindness!  Who knows!)


(Fun story—I always remember St. Lucy is the patron saint of blind people because we had these little books of saint biographies in my second grade classroom and I WILL NEVER FORGET ST. LUCY’S PAGE BECAUSE SHE IS HOLDING A DISH WITH HER TWO EYEBALLS IN IT BECAUSE THEY GOT PLUCKED OUT WHEN SHE WAS BEING TORTURED FOR BEING A CHRISTIAN.  SECOND GRADE.) 

Cheers, y'all!




No comments:

Post a Comment