Tuesday, January 23, 2018

To sleep, perchance to dream.

Until recently, I have secretly judged people who have trouble sleeping.  I was like, please, insomnia is not real.  Being a light sleeper is not real.  What will you tell me next, vaccines prevent disease??  (Jokes.)  Friends know that I am very good at falling asleep and staying asleep.  The talent runs in my family on the O’Connor side.  Head back, boom, asleep.  So these last few nights have unsettled me, as I have done a lot of tossing and turning and staring at the ceiling of my childhood bedroom.  Sleep finally comes to me between the hours of 7am and 12pm (which, to be fair, has always been a natural tendency, but that period of sleep normally follows a nice 8-10 hours of REM filled glory.)

So here we are.  I am wide awake.  My right leg hurts and I’m worried I have a blood clot but I’m afraid to google it.  Maybe it’s just a tight IT band.  (Does anyone actually know what an IT band is?  I don’t.)  The pain in my leg is more likely attributed to how I sit while working at my computer.  As it turns out, if I am not forced to enter society and sit in a chair like a civilized adult, I simply do not do it.  Most days, I am a pretzel wearing pajamas, twisted over my mouse and keyboard.  Longtime blog readers may recall a smug Claire mocking her London office safety consultant’s instructions on how to sit properly in a chair.  I may need a refresher course.

It's been six years and I'm still shocked by the graphics of this image.

I really should work on my posture, as one of my greatest fears about getting old is developing the old woman hump.  You know the one.  Maybe I should get one of those machines that makes you hang upside down.  Livestrong.com tells me inversion therapy could benefit my posture and circulation.  But I don’t know if I can trust Lance Armstrong anymore.

Alright, I should stop looking at a screen and attempt to sleep.  Sweet dreams, friends.  (Or if you are lucky, Harry Potter themed dreams.  I found a Horcrux in a dream the other night and it was very cool.)




No comments:

Post a Comment