Friday, August 12, 2016

Skunk's alive.

On this, one day after their 37th anniversary, I would like to dedicate this post to my parents, the unbeatable Jim and Jane. 

A recent (mis)adventure of theirs continues to warm my heart and I want to share it with the world.

A pesky groundhog has been living under our poolhouse for quite a while now, so my parents decided it was time to evict him.  Rather than have an exterminator do the job, they purchased and set up a trap from Home Depot and planned to release the groundhog into the Great Swamp once he was caught.  The following morning, however, they awoke to troublesome news: the groundhog was still cozy under the poolhouse and they had caught a skunk instead.


None of the exterminators in the area provide service on Sundays, so Jim and Jane had to improvise (or else have a baked skunk on their hands).  After consulting the internet and some more nature-minded friends, they decided to cover the cage to shield Skunky from the hot sun and to keep him from spraying.

Apparently, skunks will not spray if they can’t see you, and they are soothed by the slow, floating approach of a large, blue Snuggie.  Armed with this information (and of course, a blue Snuggie), James bravely risked his usual scent of Old Spice and baby powder for the task of covering the cage.  And Jane, with her ever-steady hand, videotaped the whole thing for posterity.



(How calmly he walks away at the end!  I would have bolted.)

The skunk got picked up on Monday.  After all that, my parents decided to let the groundhog remain in his residence under the pool house.  When asked for comment on this story, Jane said, “I don’t think we’ll try again for the groundhog.  We feel like amateurs.  Should pay the pros.”

I, for one, am glad they didn’t.  Not only did this episode provide my sisters and me with great entertainment (“Oscar-worthy footage”, said one), it is yet another example of how my parents continue to confront life’s challenges as a united team, armed with tenacity and good humor.  Happy anniversary—here’s to many more years of catching skunks and taking names.


No comments:

Post a Comment