Friday, April 8, 2016

Hypochondriacal tendencies.

My moral code and habits for health and safety are generally so ingrained that I don’t have to actively make rules to protect myself from my temptations.  The only exception is this: “Never go on WebMD.”  I am very good at following this rule in times of health, but in times of sickness, I am very susceptible.  Last night, I succumbed.

After work, I went with a group from the office to Autodesk’s Design Night.  It was very cool—interesting models and exhibits, good speakers, open bar, good (?) food, and music.  We had a fun time, but I headed home before the rest of the group because I had to get up for an appointment at the DMV (plan: get CA driver’s license, register to vote).  Almost as soon as I walked in the door, I got this sudden, sharp pain in my stomach just below my ribcage.  It was unlike any kind of pain I can remember ever having.  I lay down on the couch to see if it would go away, but it just got worse.  Commence, my inner dialogue.


Rational Claire: Stay calm.  You are fine.  Maybe some indigestion or perhaps you ate something bad.

Hypochondriac Claire: We’re dying.  Oh my God, we’re dying. 

Rational Claire: Ignore her.  Breathe…..

Hypochondriac Claire: You should probably go to the emergency room.  If your appendix ruptures, you could die.

Rational Claire: You probably just need to throw up.  It’s a perfectly normal thing our body does to expel things that don’t make us happy.

Hypochondric Claire:  DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT RATIONAL BITCH.  WE HATE THROWING UP.  REMEMBER HOW MUCH WE HATE THROWING UP?  WE WOULD RATHER SUFFER FOR HOURS DELAYING THAT TERRIBLE MOMENT.

Rational Claire:  Right, but you’ll feel so much better after you throw up.

Hypochondriac Claire: IT’S A TRAP.  DO.  NOT.  THROW.  UP.  NEVER.  SURRENDER.


(I surrender.  But still have this stabbing stomach pain.)


HC: Oh my God, shouldn’t we be feeling better?  You said we would feel better.  We are NOT FEELING BETTER.  WHAT IS THIS PAIN.  WHAT IS HAPPENING.

RC: Ok, how about we just hang out on the couch for a bit—

HC:  WHERE IS WILL.  WHERE IS HE. 

RC:  Will went to a wedding in Houston.  Relax, you are an independent woman.

HC:  JESUS WHAT IS HAPPENING.  IS THIS A KIDNEY STONE?  You should call Erin.  She had a kidney stone.

RC:  It’s 3AM for Erin.  She is asleep and getting a call in the middle of the night will really freak her out.  You know that better than I do, Hypochondriac Claire.  I really don’t think this is a kidney stone—

HC: WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT KIDNEY STONES?  NOTHING.  YOU KNOW NOTHING.  YOU KNOW WHO DOES?  WebMD.

RC:  Wait, wait, wait, wait.  We should not go to WebMD.  That is a mistake and you know it.  Wouldn’t we be dead several times over if WebMD were always right?  Do we have HIV?  No.  Do we have diabetes?  No.  Have we ever had a heart attack?  No. 

HC: YOUNG FEMALES HAVE HEART ATTACKS.  They are more likely to ignore the symptoms and therefore more likely to DIE.

RC:  Alright, but have we ever had one?

HC:  Maybe this is a heart attack.

RC:  This is not a heart attack.  This is our stomach.  Focus.

HC:  That’s it.  WebMD Symptom Checker, here we come.

RC:  NO.


(I open the computer, type webmd into browser…)


RC:  Claire, do you really want to do this?


No, but………..


HC: HIT ENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


(I hit enter.  I put my symptoms into the Symptom Checker.)


RC:  Well, well, well, would you look at that?  Top three possible conditions: Indigestion, Gastritis, Muscle Strain.  And look, stomach cancer is the very last result.  I think we’re gonna be okay.

HC:  Ok, but…….H. Pylori……..

RC:  We do not have an H. Pylori infection.

HC:  Wow, I am…so…tired.

RC:  Let’s try to get some sleep.



I moved to the bed.  I’ll spare you the rest of the night, but thankfully, Rational Claire (mostly) prevailed and we all managed to get a bit of sleep.  Rational Claire does need to give WebMD some credit…it actually helped talk Hysterical Claire down from a ledge.

I missed my appointment at the DMV (also could not find passport until much later…) so I will have to reschedule.  But I am feeling better now and actually starting to feel hungry.  I might go make some rice and watch Inside Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment