Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Blob's Favorite Podcasts of 2016.

I should be packing for my return to the East Coast.  So instead I will assemble a list of my favorite podcasts.

I came late to the podcast train.  Before 2016, I hardly knew what podcasts were, let alone how to get them onto my phone.  (What is internet?)  I heard people talk about programs like This American Life, but I just figured I would never know how to listen to them.  I liken it to how I felt not getting the Disney channel as a kid.  I’d hear the other kids talk about the shows and Disney channel original movies, but knew these things would never be part of my life.  I could only pretend to also have a crush on the Famous Jett Jackson.  I would never truly know him.

Earlier this year, however, I discovered the “Podcast” app on my phone and that subscribing to podcasts is free.  Who knew?  Now I don’t know how to get through a workday without my podcasts.  And Will doesn’t know how to get me to shut up about them.  So without further ado, the Blob’s Favorite Podcasts of 2016.


They don’t know it, but Nate Silver, Clare Malone, Harry Enten, and Jody Avirgan are my best friends.  If only they knew me.  Clare is my soul sister (practically the same name, Catholic, went to Georgetown, one of four girls) and Harry is my nerd crush.  When I first heard his voice, I thought he was a 60-year-old Jewish man, but it turns out he is a very handsome my-age Jewish man.  I proposed marriage to him via Twitter when Will and I went to a live taping of the podcast in San Francisco, but he never answered.  I still hold out hope.

Nate, Clare, <3 Harry <3, Jody.

Happy nerds.

Nate and the gang offer sane, data-based election/politics analysis, with a healthy mix of nerd humor.  I wish more people would listen to them.  They are thoughtful, fair, and…balanced (!).

Runner Up: Presidential

Lillian Cunningham of the Washington Post aired an episode about each president every week leading up to the election.  It was a good substitute for my presidential biography reading (on which I made zero progress this year).  This easily could have been a gimmicky podcast about president trivia (did you know Taft was a fatty?  Did you know John Quincy Adams went skinny-dipping in the Potomac?), but instead, Lillian explored substantial themes every week (Abraham Lincoln’s love of writing and language, how William McKinley revolutionized the presidential campaign, etc).  I learned a lot and was also entertained (see William Henry Harrison campaign song).  I especially appreciated her treatment of the more recent presidents—she examined each with an open mind, without resorting to popular opinions and stereotypes.  This podcast is just another reason to support and subscribe to the Washington Post.  Gotta make an extra effort to support the First Amendment under the reign of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Best Theme Song: Dan Snow’s History Hit

I catch myself doing the same shoulder bob I do during the Soprano’s theme song.

Current Obsession: Stranglers

The people behind Stranglers have reopened the investigation of the Boston Strangler(s).  It’s both a fascinating and deeply disturbing listen.  Not for the faint of heart.  Also not recommended for listening right before you leave work and walk home alone…in the dark.

Other favorite: Longform

The guys on Longform interview writers and editors from all different kinds of publications.  Often brings on daydreams of a career as a freelance writer…

Best Podcast Made By One of My Cousins: NBA Squeeze

If you are looking for some deep cut analysis of the NBA with bonus Seinfeld references, look no further than the NBA Squeeze. I do not regularly watch the NBA, so I must admit a lot of the analysis of specific teams and players gets by me.  However, I particularly enjoy when Ryan and Joe get into the mechanics of the game.  Is the charge an appropriate call for the NBA?  Shouldn’t more guards be grabbing rebounds, while the bigs do all the boxing out work?  Why do we crave high fives at the foul line?  Have high fives gotten out of hand (pardon the pun)?  All important questions.  Thank you, Ryan and Joe, for bringing them to light.

---

My full list of podcasts is below (with assorted brief commentaries).  Favorites in bold.  I am always open to suggestions.


The Nerdist: my very first podcast.

Coffee Break Spanish: a very Scottish guy does this podcast but his Spanish is pretty good to my ear…

BBC Documentary: great except their episodes on America usually drip with condescension.

New Yorker Fiction

Undisclosed

Lore: just wish Aaron Mahnke would stop saying “you see” every third sentence.

Serial

TEDTalks: I have to be in the mood for TED talks.

Presidential

Makers

BackStory with the American History Guys: love these dudes.

FiveThirtyEight Elections

This American Life

Radiolab

Planet Money

New Yorker: The Writer’s Voice

Song Exploder

Embedded

KCRW’s The Organist

Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me

Freakonomics

Criminal

The Moth

99% Invisible: Is this the voice Roman Mars uses in his daily life?

Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin: Alec Baldwin is an arrogant windbag, but he interviews interesting people.

Death, Sex & Money

What’s the Point

Longform

Dan Snow’s HISTORY HIT: love this British nerd.  Great history podcast—his World War I stuff is very good.

More Perfect

Revisionist History

With Her: :____(

On Being with Krista Tippet: very zen.

NBA Squeeze

Looped In: Houston real estate podcast.  Gotta stay in the loop ;) ;) ;)

Stanglers

Colonial Williamsburg History: only episode I listened to was an interview with “George Washington”.  Not great.

Keepin’ It 1600

NPR Politics

Breakdown: Intriguing and incredibly depressing.  Don’t leave your kids in a hot car.

Decoding Westworld

Art Detective

The West Wing Weekly



No comments:

Post a Comment