Thursday, February 18, 2016

Coo coo kuCHA.

Many apologies for missing a post yesterday.  I fell asleep with Word open, so my intentions were good.  Tonight I need to prepare some slides for a PechaKucha-style presentation at my office.  Everyone who joined in 2015 has to put together 6 slides (a little about me, what I’m working on, what project I’m most proud of, what inspires me, etc) and then we’ll present them to the office, spending about 20 seconds per slide.  It should be a quick, fun thing.  So now I get to agonize over what to put on my slides.

I will leave you with some food for thought, sent to me by a devoted reader, Mary D., in response to my President’s Day post.  It is a quote from Thomas Jefferson regarding the nature of the law.  (He’s lucky I’m posting it here because he’s earning a place on my bad list as I get further into the Hamilton biography.  But for all his manipulative craftiness, he did have some good ideas ;)

"On similar ground it may be proved that no society can make a perpetual constitution, or even a perpetual law. The earth belongs always to the living generation. They may manage it then, and what proceeds from it, as they please, during their usufruct. They are masters too of their own persons, and consequently may govern them as they please. But persons and property make the sum of the objects of government. The constitution and the laws of their predecessors extinguished them, in their natural course, with those whose will gave them being. This could preserve that being till it ceased to be itself, and no longer. Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of 19 years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force and not of right."

No comments:

Post a Comment