Monday, May 30, 2016

An All-American camping trip.

Happy Memorial Day to all and welcome to my latest late blob.  Today, Will and I returned from a lovely camping trip with friends in Clear Lake State Park.  Ranger Darren, after asking us to please respect the quiet hours, told us that Clear Lake may be the oldest lake in the country.  I was happy to hear it was a natural lake, and not one created by the Army Corp of Engineers, whom I have lost most respect for.  (For more information, read Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner and then call me and we’ll talk about it.) 

We took a brief hiatus from nature to watch the Warriors/Thunder game at a sports bar in nearby Kelseyville.  Guy with an impressive mullet and plumber’s crack at the table next to us was very excitable.  I was tempted to remind him that unfortunately the players cannot hear his coachly wisdom (“STEPH, what are you DOING, MAN?”  “GET IT TOGETHER, DUBS." <fist bang on table> etc) but figured it would be better not to mess with him.  Thankfully, the game turned around for the Warriors in the very exciting last minute or so, so everyone was a happy camper (heh heh).  I was also excited to be in Kelseyville, in honor of my dear friend, Kelsey.  I took lots of pictures of signs for her.  I wish the town were named after her, rather than after Andrew Kelsey, whom, Wikipedia informs me, enslaved Native Americans in the region until they revolted and killed him, which then of course prompted a retaliatory massacre of about 200 Native American men, women, and children.  Can’t wait for President Trump to bring back the good old days. 

We had a really nice time camping, but I’m happy to be back in a real bed tonight.  Only six more work days until family vacation in ITALIA.  Cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment